Sunday, November 4, 2007

Metabolic Bone Disease



MBD is also known as Metabolic Bone Disease. It is one of the more common reptile health concerns. You should make sure that you fully understand the signs and symptoms so that you can keep a look out for your pet reptile's health. now the treatment and preventative measures so that you never have to combat the illness.

I will say that for personal reasons, I have done everything that I could for one of my bearded dragons, yet she still contracted MBD. I believe that she has it because of poor breeding and poor initial husbandry from the petstore that she was purchased from. So, you want to watch out for these factors as well. Finding breeders in your area or even reputable petstores will lower your risks of picking a pet with MBD, or one that may possibly contract it.

Check out the link above, but if you need more information check out:
Metabolic Bone Disease
Calcium Metabolism and Metabolic Bone Disease

1 comment:

AP said...

Hello,
I have a female cresed gecko about 2 ½ years of age that I bought from pet kingdom and she is diagnosed with metabolic bone disease. The first time I noticed something was wrong with her was about two months from now and I took her to an exotic animal hospital (Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital). Dr.Jenkins (Jeffery R. Jenkins, D.V.M.) http:drexotic.com/bio_jenkins.htm suggested I inject her with pure calcium, put her under a 100 – 120 watt heat lamp, and put her also under a UVB lamp. The same day I went to Pet Kingdom and spoke with their crested gecko breeder who said he has delt with metabolic bone disease with crested geckos and when I mentioned Dr.Jenkins the breeder told us to not listen to a word that man tells you because he has no clue what he is talking about and he mainly works with birds. The breeder suggested we give the gecko no light, and feed her “Neo cal glucon” (calcium glubionate) mixed with baby food (apple, pair, mango..) and plain flavored yogurt. He said if you inject shots of calcium, it will just form clumps on her body but if you feed her that mix she will actually digest the food, be able to swallow, and grow back to normal. The breeder also said if you put her under a 100 – 120 watt light she will burn to death!
So I went with the breeders suggestions and for the past two months or so I have been feeding her the babyfood-neocalglucon-yogurt mix but so far there have been no signs of my gecko improving or getting worse. I am not sure what side of this conflict to choose! I need all of the help I can get! If you have any suggestions please feel free to contact me!

Thanks

Google