Saturday, September 8, 2007

Clicker Training

Have any of you heard of Clicker Training? I find that it is one of the better techniques towards training dogs. I have found the quickest results when using a clicker than without. I began training my new puppy without the clicker, and she basically understood what I wanted, but as soon as I picked up my old clicker and began using it when training with her, she began catching on quicker and quicker. It is pretty simple to clicker train. You can use your voice as a sharp 'yes' when the desired behavior was reached; the sharp 'yes' is in place of the clicer as we all have our voice with us at all times, but maybe not a clicker. This is what I started with when training my new puppy, but I was not getting the results I desired in the time frame I had hoped. When picking up my old Karen Pryor I-Click clicker, MIA quickly began responding to simple cues of 'sit,' 'down,' 'sit/stay,' 'down/stay,' and 'speak.' Many more behaviors are added to her 'behavior glossary,' with every click of the small, hand-held clicker.

No comments:

Google