Sunday, August 19, 2007

Chinchillas

Chinchillas are very close to my heart. I received my first chinchilla for Christmas one year. He was so cute! And, I didn't even expect it. I had done my research, and asked, and got a semi-yes. But nothing definate. At this time, I volunteered regularly at Petsmart, and saw that they had one male chinchilla. I asked for him, and my parents didn't seem too keen on the idea, as it had been a while since I'd taken care of a furry pet; plus I already had a few reptiles and a dog in the house.
The next day, we went back to Petsmart, to get something that I had forgotten, crickets, mealworms, or something... I saw that the chinchilla wasn't there anymore, and began asking for a hamster. Turns out that the previous day when my mother picked me up, my dad was in the parking lot (supposidly at work). He ran in and bought the chinchilla, since they can't put anything on hold. He had already gotten approval from my grandparents, that they would house the little guy until the following weekend, which was Christmas. I had absolutely NO idea!!!
Luck for me I had done my research, or I would have been in for a huge RUDE awakening! But, at the same time, I was still surprised by somethings, such as how much they actually liked to chew! I expected some chewing, but I didn't expect to walk in my room one day and have the front of my ferret cage falling off because they had chewed the pieces that held the cage together off. Oh, and I say they, because in April, of the following month, I went back to Petsmart and got another chinchilla, and we purchased a bigger cage, a ferret cage.
But anyway, I have created a basic chinchilla caresheet for those who are interested in owning a chinchilla.

Did you know it takes OVER 150 chinchillas to produce one chinchilla fur coat?? Did you know that Jennifer Lopez has well over 10 of these coats? That means well over 1,500 chinchillas had to die in order to make Lopez a fancy coat. I am very fond of my chinchillas, and will never understand why someone would want one of these coats.

Chinchillas are very sensitive, cute, and furry creatures that are now found in homes across North America versus solely in the Andes Mountains of South America.

If you're thinking about getting a chinchilla, you should read the article below. It consists of a few tips and things that you may want to think about first:
Chinchilla Basics

No comments:

Google